Skip to content

What license do I need to operate in Iceland?

Anyone who plans, sells and carries out trips needs a license issued by the Icelandic Tourist Board. There are two types of licenses:


Travel agency license: The license covers parties covered by the Package Travel Act and interconnected travel arrangements. Anyone who offers some kind of combined or interconnected tours, e.g. where accommodation is included, must be licensed as a travel agent.

Day tour providers: The license covers parties who sell trips that are not covered by the law on package tours and interconnected travel arrangements. The day tour travel permit is for those who only offer single trips that are shorter than 24 hours. and do not include accommodation. Any combination and interconnection with other services may require a larger license.


License applications go through: